Custom Painted R/C Bodies, Canopies and Custom Dyeing

For Your R/C Painting And Dyeing Requests

R/C FORUM

Forum Home > R/C HELICOPTERS > Lama V3, V4/ CX, CX2, CX3 Discussion

greaser

i have a fully modded tmaxx a monster pirate and a modded stampede all nitro but i am thinking of going brushless on the maxx and selling the stampede. i have also pondered building a rock crawler.

December 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

^^^

Very nice. I have an E Revo bl and that is somewhat modded. Also a VXL Stampede. My son has a XL5 Stampede. We both have a blast running the trucks.

I also have a V4, HBFP, a cheapo 3 ch heli, and soon a Belt CP.

Jim

December 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

how do you like the brushless set ups? they seem like they should be a sweet set up. does anyone know anything about the alloy sharks and eagles they seem like a decent heli to play with but i cant find much about them?

December 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

I like bl setups a lot.  Not that brushed is bad.

Lipos and bl....wow!  Back in day, no bl, just brushed.  The technology has come far.  The speed is just breathtaking.

Jim

December 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

lol yeah i remember my first real rc car it was the original LE rc10 they sell rcs at radio shack that would put it to shame now. i am trying to decide what would be better to do convert my tmaxx to BL or sell it and buy the new BL one that traxxas has. 

December 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

well my helis showed up today i ran thru a battery each so far only one hard landing with the lama of course it chiped a blade. lol I am realy impressed with the birds tho they seem well built and once i get them all tuned up and broken in i am sure i will love flying them.

but wow does it ever take some concentration lol my living and dining room are way to crowded at my skill level.

December 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

Greaser,

I converted an E MAXX a while back.  I used a Hobby Wing bl setup.  Tremendous power and speed but I had glitching.  Never really fixed the issue.  I got about 200' range.  I may have had a bad esc.  The truck was in a huge wreck before I could fix the issue.  I sold it.  Got the E Revo bl after that.

Isn't a T MAXX harder to convert?  Are there conversions available?  My Stampede VXL has been my "Old Faithful"  No issues with the truck.  Believe it or not you gotta concentrate more with the Stampede since it's 2wd...gotta go easy on that throttle.

The Lama is a good, solid heli.  Once you get accustomed to having to really concentrate while flying, it's simple.  Imagine flying a cp heli!

Let's face it.  Driving an rc land vehicle is a lot easier than flying a heli.  It was a lot for me to get used to coming from land vehicles but once I did, I loved it.

I would recommend different than stock blades.  I prefer Xtreme or AFC blades.  Much sturdier and better lift than stock.  I'm not recommending them because I sell them.  I wouldn't sell them if they didn't work.  They really have been proven better.  There are also the hardened blades a lot of the guys on RCG mention.

Jim

December 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

how quick could you get me a set of blades? i think from what i am reading i will be better off selling the tmaxx and buying the bl emaxx. the hastle isnt going to be worth it from the way sounds. i have now run 3 bat. thru the lama i am realy getting the hang of it. one word of advise dont try and grab it when the blades are runing (ouch). lol

December 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chap

greaser, the V4 is a fine heli.  My V4 72mhz. will be 2 years old come Jan.  "All original electronics" (knock on wood).  My Bud just bought the 2.4g one and we are gonna mod it the same as mine for outdoor flight.  Once the "outdoor flight bug" bites you in the ass,...you WILL be hooked.

BTW, AFC blades are awsome.  Tough as nails, great lift.  Once these AFC blades are preped...IE; filing down the root to fit stock plasic grip and sanding the underside for balance).  As I said..."tough as nails"...get your best file and sandpaper out to balance these bad boys.  These blades are heavier, therefore, must have perfect balance.  I love them:D

--

Official Tri-C Member

December 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

thanks chap i think the afc blades will do fine i ordered the v3 with the fm rx but i got a free upgrade to the 2.4 i was realy happy to see that. as far as the outdoor bug its 4 deg outside right now so in about 5 months ill try and catch that one lol.

December 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

greaser at 11:21PM on Dec 07, 2009

how quick could you get me a set of blades? i think from what i am reading i will be better off selling the tmaxx and buying the bl emaxx. the hastle isnt going to be worth it from the way sounds. i have now run 3 bat. thru the lama i am realy getting the hang of it. one word of advise dont try and grab it when the blades are runing (ouch). lol

Hi Greaser,

I can get the blades to you immediately.  Let me know if you want them white (Xtreme blades are normally pure white. AFC blades are an off white) or what color you want them dyed etc.  I have a lot of them dyed and ready to go.  Have a look at the categories on top of the page for all the blades I have in stock.  Let me know, either here, via email or by phone.  Phone is the best bet and get you the quickest reply.  My info is located in the "contact' tab on top of the page.

The Xtreme blades pop right in.  The AFC blades pop right in as well.  In my experience, I have yet to need to balance either brand of blades.  Some guys do but not myself.  The AFC blades have a little bit of a thicker root and sometimes need to be sanded/ filed so thet they aren't too tight in the holders.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Jim

December 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

will do jim thanks i am thinking the olive green ones i would like to do a "mash" chopper.

December 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

greaser at 11:41PM on Dec 09, 2009

will do jim thanks i am thinking the olive green ones i would like to do a "mash" chopper.

No problem Greaser.

Just call me or shoot me your address etc and I'll get them right out to you.

Jim

December 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chap

greaser at 01:33AM on Dec 08, 2009

thanks chap i think the afc blades will do fine i ordered the v3 with the fm rx but i got a free upgrade to the 2.4 i was realy happy to see that. as far as the outdoor bug its 4 deg outside right now so in about 5 months ill try and catch that one lol.

It won't be long before it starts getting warmer.  Think ahead:wink:  Start ordering those upgrades now !!  Let us know before ordering.  There are many fine pilots here that can help you build an outdoor flyer.  Once you let loose to the open sky you will never go back to flying your V3/V4 indoors again..WOOHOO:cool:

Mike.

--

Official Tri-C Member

December 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greaser

i got the blades jim they look great thanks. mike i hear ya i want the alum upgrades already lol.

December 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

greaser at 02:55PM on Dec 23, 2009

i got the blades jim they look great thanks. mike i hear ya i want the alum upgrades already lol.

No problem, thanks for the order.

I'm glad you like them.

Careful with the aluminum upgrades.  Some are not worth it.  Ask questions before you buy.

By the way, are you on RCGroups.com?

A lot more action over there than over here.

Jim

December 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chap

Hey greaser, many of us guys are member at RCG.  Leethetreeguy started a thread that's a lot of fun.  We talk just about anything.  Pretty relaxed.  Just have to watch your "P's" & "Q's" if you know what I mean.  Jim goes by "Stamp"...I go by "Chap1012"...Here, I put you on the most recent page of RCG.  Hope to see you there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014516&page=462

Mike. 

--

Official Tri-C Member

December 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chap

Hi Jim, I can't think of anyone else who handles AFC blades than yourself.  I bought some AFC blades some time ago.  The "B" is the blade with a "hard downward curve".  Raz is reporting (and i seen pics) that the "A" blade now has this hard downward curve."  Also, Sven has reported that his ACF's (an "A" and "B" blade i think) snapped easily.  I'm beginning to wonder if AFC changed not only thier compostion but, also thier configuration (hard curved "B" blade to an "A" hard curved blade).

I may have the last set of hard curved "B" blades.

What's your take on this Jim?

Mike.

--

Official Tri-C Member

January 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djkhobby
Site Owner

^^^

Hi Mike,

I posted this before in RCG a long time ago.

I ordered many sets direct from AFC a few months ago.

Most of the sets were equally curved.  There were a couple sets that had the tops straighter.  Didn't seem to affect anything.  I don't know anything about the material or a change in the material.  It is pretty tough.  I have yet to break a set.  When I do get a blade strike it usually just scuffs the blade.  I think you could break any blade if you fly hard enough.

Their performance is far superior than stock.  Their lift is like a kick in the pants.

I use them on my heli now.  Before these I used Xtreme blades.  Their performance is very similar.  They do have subtle differences to the more experienced pilot.

Jim

January 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chap

Hi Jim, this is the conversation/explanation Ernie sent me when I opened a ticket desk help at Helitek-rc.  I was interested in that "downward curve" on the "B" blade.  This is what took place..

@ Jun 26 2009, 10:33 AM Mike Rivera wrote:

Ernie, on the AFC "B" blades; 2 questions: 1- Can I assume the slight "downward" curve is normal?

2- Leading edge of both blades will only move forward about 30* then, minimal binding occurs in the grip on both blades but swings backward like a normal stock or harden blade.

"A" blades swings normal (front to back) in the grips.

(Lama V4).

If question #2 is normal could you give me a little insight as to why it will only go forward about 30* before that slight binding occurs.

Thanks for your time Bro.

Mike (aka Chap1012)

@ Jun 27 2009, 06:33 AM Helitek-RC Customer Service wrote:

Hey Mike

Evrything is good, I talked to Caritas of AFC and he said they were good to go and evrything sounded normal, as far as the blades only going about 30* the wrong way that is normal, and I have checked all the other blades i have and the B blades are all made as described and Caritas said this was how they designed them, if you ever seen xtreme blades they are made similiar but the afc's are a bit longer.........................Ernie

If this is true, I does make sense to put the hard curved "B" blade on the rotor that controls our helis.  Does that make sense to anyone?

Hey Mark, or any of you guys.  I'm having one heck of a time logging into Mark's site.  He straightened it out, I made one post and now it's back giving me a hard time.

BTW Jim, I do have 1 set of AFC's left in my box o'tricks.  Saving them for spring when outdoor flying resumes:cool:

Mike.

--

Official Tri-C Member

January 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.